Thursday, March 29, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs (2011)

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

Fifteen-year old Jacob Portman lives in Englewood, Florida.  Unlike him, his grandfather has had an adventurous life and he liked to tell Jacob stories about his experiences.  As Jacob grew up, he felt cheated when he realized that his grandfather's stories couldn't be true.

I stopped asking my grandfather to tell me stories, and I think secretly he was relieved.  An air of mystery closed around the details of his early life. 

Grandfather was born in Poland and shipped off to Wales when he was only 12 years old.

When I would ask why he had to leave his parents, his answer was always the same: because the monsters were after him.

Grandfather was the only member of his family to escape Poland before World War II. 

In a panic, Grandfather calls Jacob.

"They're coming for me, understand?  I don't know how they found me after all these years, but they did."

Jacob goes to see his grandfather at his home.  What he finds changes Jacob's life forever. 

"Go to the island, Yakob.  Here it's not safe."

His grandfather has been severely wounded.

"Find the bird.  In the loop.  On the other side of the old man's grave.  September third, 1940...Emerson - the letter.  Tell them what happened, Yakob."

Grandfather dies and Jacob sees something in the woods, a tentacle-mouthed monster.

Jacob blames himself for his grandfather's death.  No one believes that he saw a monster, and instead he receives a medical diagnosis:  acute stress reaction.  He takes lots of prescriptions and sees a psychiatrist, Dr. Golan.  His grandfather's last words are eating away at him. 

As a part of his treatment, Josh's dad takes him to Cairnholm Island in the United Kingdom, to see the children's home.

Why did you send me here?  What was it you needed me to see?

As Jacob learns more about his grandfather, he also learns about the other peculiar children and their secrets.  Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a refreshing, exciting read!  Ransom Riggs has crafted a truly original story with old photos and a lot of imagination.  Be sure to check out his website!

Rating:  1o out of 10 stars
*language

To check this book out at NOLS, click HERE!