Thursday, July 12, 2012

See You at Harry's, by Jo Knowles (2012)

The very best day of my life, I threw up four times and had a fever of 103 degrees.  I was pretty sure I was going to die, and sometimes by the look on my mom's face every time she took my temperature, I think she was pretty sure, too.

Fern's parents named her after the character in Charlotte's Web  When she was 8-years old, she caught a virus from Random Smith, a boy no one wanted to be friends with.  


"From the moment you were born, I could tell you had a special soul.  I knew you'd be a good friend.  A hero."

I looked at my chest and tried to feel my soul buried in there, deep in my heart.

"It's true," my mom said.  "Not everyone would share a sandwich with Random Smith."

I smiled, feeling my soul stir a little.

My mom took my hand and kissed it.  "I'm proud of you, honey," she said.  "I know you're miserable now, but you made a little boy feel like he matters.  And I hope you think it was worth it."

Twelve-year old Fern has two brothers and one sister; Fern is the second youngest.  Charlie is three years old and totally grosses Fern and her other siblings out.  He picks his nose, he carries around a plastic baby doll, or making Fern do something totally embarrassing.  He's the center of the universe for her parents.


Fern's parents own a restaurant, Harry's, even though her dad's name is George.  Her older sister is named Sara from the character in  A Little Princess, her brother Holden is named after a character in The Catcher in the Rye, and Charlie was named after the character in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Needless to say, her family is a bit quirky.


See You at Harry's looks like a nice, sweet book, but it's a heavy-weight:  Holden struggles with telling his parents he's gay, a tragic accident happens to one of the family members, and Fern is forced to confront her guilt.  


I really loved this book, but it's not for everyone.


Rating:  10 out of 10 stars
*mild language, grief, homosexuality


This book is not at NOLS...yet!