Monday, August 6, 2012

Hole in My Life, by Jack Gantos (2002)

The prisoner in the photograph is me.  The ID number is mine.  the photo was taken in 1972 at the medium-security Federal Correctional Institution in Ashland, Kentucky.  I was twenty-one years old and had been locked up for a year already - the bleakest year of my life - and I had more time ahead of me.

When Jack Gantos was 19-years old, he felt like he was stuck in high school, and he wasn't living at home.

I had unlimited freedom.  No supervision whatsoever.  I had spending money.  I had a fast car.  I had a fake ID.  My entire year was a grand balancing act between doing what I wanted and doing what I should, and being who I was while inventing who I wanted to be:  a writer with something important to say.

Tough times hit Jack and his family and he was offered $10,000 for college tuition, to escape his dead-end life.  He agreed to help crew a boat loaded with drugs from the Virgin Islands to New York City.  What happened during this time is what makes this a great memoir.

Rating:  8 out of 10 stars
*language, drug use, excessive alcohol consumption, rape

This book is not available at NOLS...yet!