Monday, August 6, 2012

Runner, by Carl Deuker (2005)

I've read about kids who hate their parents for being alcoholics.  I've never understood that.

Chance Taylor is a senior in high school.  His dad is an alcoholic.  The kind of alcoholic that can't hang onto a job.  They live on a broken-down boat in Seattle.  Chance's mom left.  When she told Chance she was leaving, he understood.


I'd heard them arguing at night.  I knew my dad drank way too much and worked way too little.  "You won't leave me too, will you?" I said.

"No, Chance.  I won't ever leave you.  I promise."

Running is the only thing Chance has ever really liked to do, and someone from his marina notices this.  He also notices the time of day Chance likes to run, and his route.  

After his dad has lost yet another job and can't make the moorage payment, Chance realizes he has to do something to pay the bills.  


"So listen, and listen carefully.  You're in trouble, and I can get you out of that trouble.  I'm offering you a job, kid.  Very good pay; very short hours."

Chance will get paid $200 a week to run his regular route.  But instead of simply touching the maple tree that's growing out of the boulders, he has to look for a package.  No questions.

Runner is a fast-paced, suspenseful read.  The plot is filled with twists and turns.  The chapters are short, so you just want to keep reading one more chapter.

Rating:  10 out of 10 stars
*mild language

To check this book at NOLS, click HERE!